Internet is the backbone of today’s life. Realising the need of internet in the field of education, the campus of BFGI is fully connected to internet through high speed 75 mbps leased line connectivity. Wi-max enables the students to easily surf the web anywhere in the campus and enhance their knowledge through unlimited information available on web.
A Library forms a very essential part of an educational institution and plays an important role in all academic activities. BFGI campus has four centrally air conditioned and networked libraries with a vast collection of books related to all the courses, which diminishes the restriction of scholars for attaining knowledge from a limited stock of books. The libraries have been planned and are being developed by a team of qualified professional library staff. The libraries offer traditional and digital resources via browsing interface supported by exceptionally fast internet service. The tranquil environment in the library is the perfect place for reading. Services such as lending of books and journals, reading room, and bibliographic reference and information are rendered by the library. Books are issued through the smart cards that are scanned by the bar code scanners.
1. No. of Books – The libraries have approximately 11,000 titles, 38,000 volumes, 220 national journals and 600 International journals.
2. E–Library – More than 6000 national and international e – journals are available. The students can access the e – journals in any corner of the campus. Digital library is available for the students and faculty. It enables them to access e – books. The college has got access to J – Gate database.
INSTITUTE OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS (IEEE) PACKAGE List of Journals Subscribed
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS (ASME) – COMPLETE PACKAGE List of Journals Subscribed
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CIVIL ENGINEERS (ASCE) – COMPLETE PACKAGE List of Journals Subscribed
3. Computers and Printers – The libraries are equipped with computers connected with Wi – max internet connection to help students access various e – journals.
4. Newspapers – The libraries have subscribed to all leading state and national newspapers. Newspaper stands are placed in the library for the comfort and ease of paper reading.
5. Magazines – The libraries provide over 48 magazines and as much as 28 national and regional newspapers.
6. Reading Rooms – The spacious reading room in the libraries provides a tranquil atmosphere to the students and the faculty members.
7. Internet Connectivity – All libraries provide high speed internet connection to students to connect them to e-books and e-journals.
Baba Farid Group of Institutions launched a Mobile Library in the memory of Late Mr. Kuldeep Singh Gill, Director, Finance. The basic objective of this library is to build progressive thinking among the public of the region through constructive literature which would indeed be helpful in building an ideal society. Constructive literature worth Rs. 2 Lakhs has been put in this mobile Library and these books are sold on no profit no loss basis. The collection of books in this library comprises work of many renowned English, Hindi and Punjabi writers.
The campus has a well maintained 3 Canteens, NESCAFE, Juice bar and Fast Food Point, Mobile canteen which serves as an excellent place to enjoy the taste of hygienic food and engaging oneself in the coffee table chat. These are periodically inspected by the staff members for the maintenance of proper hygienic conditions. The striking features of the cafeteria are
1. Vegetarian & Non vegetarian food served in these food points.
2. Healthy and freshly prepared food with a wide range of options in the menu available at reasonable costs.
3. Ample space for the students and the staff along with the visitors.
4. Comfortable seating arrangement has been made.
Residential facilities are available for students enrolled in the various colleges of the institute. To provide good residential comfort and homely environment to the students, the campus has got separate AC hostels for boys and girls. Every effort has been made to make the hostel building confront to high standards of quality in construction. Great emphasis is laid on cleanliness, hygienic food, and individual styles. Hostel complexes have several convenience facilities to make student life easier.
1. Separate hostels are available for boys and girls having capacity to accommodate 300 students respectively.
2. The rooms are well furnished and AC with attached wash rooms.
3. The Hostel Mess is a large AC hall furnished with dining tables and chairs having a seating capacity for around 100 students.
4. Healthy and vegetarian meals are provided to the hostellers three times in a day.
5. AC common rooms are equipped with Television sets and chairs. News paper stands are also placed in the common rooms for the ease of students.
6. AC study rooms provide a perfect ambience for studying.
7. 24 hours internet connectivity through Wi–Fi connection is available in the hostels.
8. Large store rooms are available in the hostels to meet resource exigencies.
9. 24 hours hostel wardens ensure proper management and discipline in the hostels.
10. 24 hours availability of security guards at the hostel gates ensure safety of the students on the campus.
11. College bus service is available to ferry students to the city.
12. Various co-curricular activities are conducted from time to time at the Hostel Premises for boarders
13. Identity of visitors is always cross –examined with guardians for the safety of the students.
Rules Regarding Hostel :
Separate hostel facility for boys and girls is available.
1. The admission to the hostels is done on the first come first serve basis. No discrimination will be made on any basis.
2. The candidates seeking admission in the hostels are required to bring their parents/guardians along with them at the time of admission. The parents and guardians of the candidates are under an obligation to submit a list of visitors (maximum two other than parents) along with their photographs.
3. The visitors are allowed to meet their wards only on Sunday or some holiday between 10am to 2 pm. No visitor is permitted to take the candidate with him without the prior consent of warden.
4. Hostlers are to observe strict discipline in the hostel.
5. Hostlers must make themselves available for attendance in the evening as per the direction of the warden.
6. No student is allowed to remain in the hostel during class hours.
7. Parents/ Guardians are not allowed to stay in the hostel.
Distance should not be a constraint in reaching out for quality education. Keeping this in mind, Baba Farid Group of Institutions has provided a well connected transport service to fetch the students as well as the faculty members from their locations to the college.
1. A fleet of more than 125 buses ferry around 6000 students from nearby areas and distant locations.
2. The facility covers more than 70 kms of radius.
3. The buses cover atleast 120 different bus routes.
4. Areas of six districts namely Bathinda, Barnala, Faridkot, Muktsar, Mansa and Sirsa are covered through bus routes
5. Special AC Cabs and AC Bus facilities free of cost are provided for the staff members of the BFGI.
Baba Farid Group of Institutions has initiated the process of offering banking services within the campus premises. A branch of Punjab National Bank has been established in the campus. The bank provides convenient and first-rate banking services to the students and the employees of the institute. Some of the key services and facilities provided by Punjab National Bank to Baba Farid Group members are:
1. Accounts of students opened at zero balance.
2. Easy and assured availability of educational loans to the students.
3. Fee can be deposited at any branch of PNB anywhere in India.
4. Accounts of faculty members at zero balance along with the overdraft and credit card facility.
5. Easy and assured availability of loans to the faculty members e.g. housing loan, car loans, personal loans etc.
Keeping in mind the common saying, “A sound mind lives in a sound body”, the campus has constructed a multi-purpose gymnasium. Work outs channelize the energy of young ones for productive purposes. It assists the students in maintaining their health.
1. State of the art gym provides the students ample opportunity to tone up their bodies in between bouts of exercising their grey cells.
2. The Gymnasium is equipped with leading fitness products such as Treadmills, Ellipticals, Cycles, Rowers, Plate Loaded & Benches, Stretch, Free Weight & Benches, etc.
Great emphasis is laid on participation in sports, BFGI offers first class facilities for sports and exercise. Indoor and outdoor sports facilities are available for students.
1. The campus has a well maintained cricket ground which enables the students to practice their favorite sport.
2. Considering the fact that many students enjoy Volley Ball and Basket Ball, the college provides fantastic volleyball and basketball courts for them to develop their abilities in these sports.
3. Indoor games like table tennis, carom boards, chess are available for students.
Emphasis is not only given on coverage of syllabi but also on making the students capable of handling practical problems that arise during handling of computer and related peripherals. The computer labs have been established in the school and all colleges of the BFGI to provide to the students a golden Career in the field of computer Science & IT.
The main goal is to enhance and evolve computer science concepts to build the intellectual capital of our students. The computer laboratories are well equipped to provide Hands on Experience in Software, Hardware and Networking. There is an independent Computer Lab in the each department catering to the needs of the department. Independent state of the art centrally air-conditioned computer labs in each College are equipped with latest version computer terminals, high end application servers, UPS for effective backup. The labs provide 24hrs internet facility to students through 25 MBPS. The computer labs have been set up with the aim to improve the programming skills of students with a clear focus on computer organization. Various logic design techniques with up to date low level and high level languages provide exposure to current trends in the subjects. A Lab Instructor is appointed in order to facilitate the use of the computer lab.
1. Besides Lab specific equipments, the lab is equipped with common facilities which include laser printer and LCD projectors.
2. The variety of latest licensed softwarse like Windows7, Wamp Server, Microsoft Office, C, C++, Jave, Windows NT, Linux, Unix, Oracle 10g, Case Tools, JDK Visual Basics etc. are provided with the purpose of enhancing the programming skills of students in order to make them proficient in the art of programming.
3. Various translators like compilers, assemblers, macro processors etc. and editors with their development leading to a better understanding. Up to date low level and high level languages give exposure to students in current trends in the subjects.
4. A dedicated lease line of 25Mbps, Wi-Max services give the students freedom to visit various educational and course related information websites.
5. With access to the World Wide Web, the students are encouraged to note study materials of concerned subjects and make presentation on it.
6. Separate tutorial sessions for accessing online subscribed journals as JGATES etc.
There are four well equipped agriculture labs with latest equipments, instruments, apparatuses, specimens and chemicals providing facilities for soil and water testing, seed quality testing, diagnosis of plant samples for diseases & insects attack, recording weather observation, milk testing and preparation of various milk products, animal care and management, land surveying etc. to enable students in tackling farming related problems. The infrastructural facilities of the department include an agriculture farm and orchard equipped with tractor, trailor and farm machinery in order to provide training to students in all practical aspects of soil, water and crop management. The department has well established plant nursery for acquainting students with horticulture and floriculture aspects. Vermiculture, Bee keeping, Crops and Vegetables growing are other regular features of the department to train the students in the field of agriculture.
The Laboratories of the Department are fully equipped with latest state-of-the-art equipments and provide excellent infra-structure for imparting practical training to the students. The major equipments which are available in the department include:All the labs and class rooms are centrally air-cooled.Laminar Flow Clean Air Bench, Refrigerated Centrifuges, Spectrophotometer, Electrophoresis-systems, Transillumi nators, pH meters, PCR Machine, Ice Flaking Machine, Electrical Balance, Auto claves, Deep Freezer, Referigerators, BOD Incubator, Magnetic Stirrer, Water Baths, Dry Bath, Micropi pettes and Distillation Units, Glass Bead Sterilizers, Ovens, Incubators etc.The students also have an access to various research laboratories such Bathinda Refinery, which are equipped with most sophisticated equipments like HPLC, Bioreactors, CO2 Incubators, Incubator Shakers, Gel Documentation System, and UV-Spectrophotometer.For Scientific Interaction the students are taken for visit to different national laboratories. These visits are also meant for the exposure of the students to the latest researches being conducted in different areas of bio technology. They are also taken to biotechnology based industries for this purpose. For all round personality development, the students are encouraged to present seminars on topics of interest. A close interaction with various research laboratories provide an excellent interface to students aspiring for career in research.
Post Graduate department of Chemistry comprises of three laboratories and an instrumentation centre. Each laboratories can comfortably accommodate 30 students, well ventilated fumeless. Air-condition instrumentation centre having contemporary instruments viz automatic polarograph, polarimeter, flame photometer, UV- Vis spectrophotometer & many more for hand on working of students. Besides the chalk and talk system of teaching power point illustration of experiments in also carried out.
Geography, as we call it the “Mother of all Sciences” is one of the oldest disciplines. To make students abreast with advanced and practical techniques of Geography , the department has well equipped laboratory equipped with multi-media projectors, computers, Maps (world, continents, India and Punjab) both physical as well as political, sets of survey (Chain and Tape, plane table, Prismatic compass), Remote sensing sheets., topographical sheets, Planimeter, Barometer, Rain Gauge, Mirror stereoscope etc.
To make the students abreast with modern and practical techniques of Physics, the department has three separate laboratories for B.Sc Classes (Mechanics, Optics and Laser, Electronics). Laboratories are equipped with all experiments (five set of each experiment) prescribed by Punjabi University, Patiala. Labs are equipped with Five Spectrometers and four Cathode Ray Oscilloscopes (with function Generator, Frequency Counter) and three Digital Storage Oscilloscopes.PG Laboratories are well equipped with Ultra modern learning and training kits for experimental instructions in Electronics, Optical, Nuclear, Atomic and Solid State Physics. These experiments have been purchased from Scientific (Roorkee), Omega (Jaipur), Optochem (Delhi), Nvis (Indore), Scientech (Indore), INDOSAW (Ambala), Aplab (Jaipur), Nucleonix (Hyderabad). Radiation Chamber is the main attraction of the department. These are unique labs in Malwa belt having research facilities in advance fields of Physics which are appreciated by most of the staff members of Physics Department, Punjabi University Patiala.
The Engineering Physics Laboratory is designed in such a way that the budding engineers can understand the basic principles of Physics and implement these skills and knowledge to fulfill the industrial requirement. This Laboratory is one of the major laboratories of the department. Experiments are conducted in the laboratory with the aim of making the budding engineers effectively use mathematical, scientific, and modern engineering tools in the practice of their professions. The lab is equipped with the digital language laboratory software is a pioneering, yet innovative solution that seamlessly integrates cutting- edge technology with internationally proven foreign language teaching and mastering methods to offer a fully equipped, modular and easy-to –use facility.All this helps to create a genuinely interactive teaching and learning environment and thus language teaching and self directed language learning are done quite easily. Thus DLL transforms budding engineers into had working professionals and responsible citizens.
COMPUTER SCIENCE & ENGINEERING / IT
Fundamentals of Computer Programming & Information Technology: The FCPIT Lab is common for all first year branches of engineering with every student having accessibility at any time. Lab consist of HCL PCs with latest software which are required for first year students i.e. Turbo C++, MS-Office, Operating System (Windows XP). Besides Lab specific equipments, the lab is equipped with common facilities also. These include 3 Laser printers and LCD projectors. The lab provides 24 Hr internet facility to students as it consist of 512 KBPS leased line for internet.
Object Oriented Programming: Object Oriented Programming lab has been designed for C, C++ programming and Object Oriented Programming. This lab has been set up with the purpose of enhancing the programming skills of students which makes them proficient in the art of programming. The lab is equipped with latest configuration PCs.
Data Structures and Programming Methodologies: DSPM(Data structures and programming methodologies) lab is put into use for teaching the students nuances of data structures leading to a better understanding of C and C++. Lab is equipped with 30 pcs with latest hardware configuration and all required softwares(like C++, Windows XP and Microsoft Office)
Operating System: Operating System lab is basically designed to teach the concepts of operating systems relating to basics of LINUX and UNIX. For the same the lab is outfitted with most up-to-date hardware and softwares.in addition to the syllabus importance is also given to real time applications in order that students may put it into use on a day to day basis.
Data Communication: Data Communication Lab has been established with the intention of teaching the fundamentals of networking and installation of computer hardware and software. Emphasis is not only given on coverage of syllabi but also on making the students capable of handling practical problems which arise when handling computer and related peripherals.
Computer Graphics Lab: This lab is common for all first year branches of engineering. It is used for teaching computer aided drawing to the students. It consist of HCL PCs with latest software required for first year i.e. (Auto CAD, MS-Office and Operating System (Windows XP). Besides lab specific equipments lab is equipped with 2 laser printers and LCD projector also.
Web Administration: WA(Web Administration) lab is put into use for teaching the students about various technologies used for website development. Lab is equipped with 36 computers with latest hardware configuration and all required software( Windows 7, Wamp Server, Microsoft Office). Besides Lab specific equipments, the lab is equipped with common facilities also which includes Laser printer and LCD projectors. The lab provides 24 Hr internet facility to students as it consists of 10 MBPS leased line for internet.
Software Programming: SP(Software Programming) lab is put into use for teaching the students about various translators like compilers, assemblers , macro processors etc. and editors with their development leading to a better understanding of C and C++. Lab is equipped with 36 pcs with latest hardware configuration and all required softwares(like C++, Windows XP and Microsoft Office)
Network Operating System Lab: Network Operating System lab is basically designed to teach the concepts of LINUX like installation, working on command-based and GUI-based editors, shell programming. The lab is outfitted with 36 most up-to-date hardware and software. Besides Lab specific equipments, the lab is equipped with common facilities also which includes Laser printer and LCD projectors. The lab provides 24 Hr internet facility to students as it consists of 10 MBPS leased line for internet. Management Information System
Management Information System lab is basically designed to teach the concepts of Information System which provides information needed to manage organizations efficiently and effectively. The lab is outfitted with 36 most up-to-date hardware and software. Besides Lab specific equipments, the lab is equipped with common facilities also which includes Laser printer and LCD projector. The lab provides 10MBPS leased line for internet facility to students.
1. Computer Lab
Computer Lab is fully equipped with adequate number of Computers. Internet facility is available for both staff and students.
2. Science Lab
Laboratory is equipped with sufficient teaching aids, which include maps, microscope, slides, science equipments, charts and drawing material etc.
3. E.T/ICT Lab
The college has well equipped Technology lab with slide projector, overhead projector, LCD, Television, VCR, models, charts, transparencies, slides, white board, flannel board etc. of standard quality.
4. Mathematics Resource Center
The college also has a well-equipped laboratory with all the equipment necessary for prospective teachers
5. Psychology Lab
In this lab we have different tests and tools to assess the intelligence, personality and creativity of the students.
6. Communication lab
College has a Communication lab with latest technology of master console and headphones. Students use this lab to improve their language i.e. English, Hindi, Punjabi.
7. Art and Craft Lab
This lab has capacity of 50 students. It is fully equipped with painting instruments for the enhancement of creativity.
8. Method lab
Method lab has teaching aids (Charts and models) of different subjects. Students are issued with these aids for teaching in the schools. Exhibition of teaching aids is also arranged at college.
9. Social Studies Lab
The College has a well equipped social studies room cum laboratory. It is well equipped with materials required for the subject, which helps in creating and maintaining a much needed congenial atmosphere for effective learning.
10. Sports Room
The College has sports facilities for various types of sports which are by undertaken the students. The college provides facility to the students for various outdoor and indoor games.
11. Seminar hall
There is one separate seminar hall in the college. This is used for the following purposes: Holding of practicum, celebration of certain functions and days of national and international importance, holding co-curricular activities, workshops and seminars, conducting examinations and holding guest lecturers.
12. N.S.S. Room
College has well prepared N.SS room in which work related to N.S.S. and social service is framed.
13. Language Room
College has a separate language room to develop the language skill of students.
The communication skills lab is equipped with experimental set- ups/machines for improving the listening and learning skills of the students in English. Computers with latest software on language learning along with hardware such as headphones, student/teacher unit and recorder are available in the lab. The lab is fully air conditioned.